Gimpel Electrics logo

(07) 3343 4066


Colourful electrical wires.

6 Signs of Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring is a serious electrical problem that is a health and safety risk and can lead to fires. The problem is that most wiring in your home or office is behind the walls, making the wiring difficult to visually inspect. But there are several signs of bad electrical wiring that everyone should know about. We’re going to be presenting 6 of those signs of faulty wiring for you today.

The 6 Signs of Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring can be a very serious matter. If in your home or office you notice any of the signs of bad electrical wiring that are on this list, call a professional electrician right away to have your wiring accessed. Here are the 6 signs of faulty wiring that you need to be aware of.

Burn Marks or Smoke Around an Outlet

If you notice discolouration or burn marks around any of your electrical outlets, that should be an immediate indication that something is wrong. The same goes for noticing smoke emanating from an outlet. What either of these signs means is the wiring behind the outlet is generating heat, which is burning the wall near the outlet and causing smoke. If left unchecked, this could lead to a structural fire. This is one of the signs of bad electrical wiring that you need to get fixed right away.

Wall Feels Warm to the Touch

If you put your hand on a wall and it feels warm to the touch, there is a high likelihood that you have a problem with faulty wiring. There could be a number of reasons the wiring is creating the heat that is causing your wall to feel warm. But it definitely needs to be checked out by a professional electrician to determine the cause and the best course of action to fix the problem.

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

When a circuit breaker keeps tripping, some people suspect that there is a problem with the circuit breaker. This is usually not the case, as a tripping circuit breaker is usually a symptom of something being wrong. A circuit breaker is a safety device installed in all homes and modern buildings. Its function is to interrupt the flow of electricity when there is a problem. If your circuit breaker keeps tripping, then that is a sign there is an issue with the flow of electricity in your home or office, which could be bad wiring.

Smell of Burning or Ozone Odour

An electrical fire has a very distinctive ozone smell. You don’t have to know what it smells like to notice a strange pungent smell in your home or office and suspect something is wrong. Bad wiring can also burn the wood inside the walls of your home. This will lead to smoke which smells like a conventional fire. Either way, if you smell smoke or any other odours that are out of the ordinary, it could be a sign that you have a problem with your wiring.

Inconsistent Electricity

An inconsistent flow of electricity is another one of the signs of bad electrical wiring. Do your lights sometimes flicker or become dim? If they do, it’s possible that the flickering is being caused by faults in the wiring. If your lights flicker or dim only when you use other electronics or appliances, then this could mean that your wiring is inadequate. This is a more common problem in older homes, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Damaged Wiring

This is a wiring problem that is usually not easily noticeable due to the wiring being in the walls behind the plasterboard. But in your garage or attic, where the wiring might be exposed, it’s possible that you will see signs of damaged wires. Mice sometimes chew on the insulation of wiring, or a wire could be rubbing against something, causing the insulation to wear away after a number of years. Anytime you see the metal wire exposed through the wire’s insulation, that wiring needs to be replaced.

Don’t Wait to Contact a Professional to Sort Your Wiring Problems

If you notice any of these signs of faulty wiring, you could be looking at a potentially serious problem. It’s a good idea to get wiring problems taken care of as soon as possible to prevent fires or the risk of electrocution. You’ll need to contact a professional electrician to sort out your faulty wiring. Gimpel Electrics has a team of registered electricians on staff ready to assist you with any of your wiring or electrical needs. For electrical advice or services, get in touch with us by calling (07) 3343 4066, emailing or by filling in our online form.

Contact a Professional Electrician for Your Electrical Problems

We have presented this information to educate the reader about the causes of a tripped circuit breaker – not as DIY repair instructions. If you suspect you have any of these problems, please contact a professional electrician. Gimpel Electrics is an electrician Brisbane southside residents and businesses call on. We’ll be happy to work with you to determine the best course of action to resolve any electrical problems you may be having. You can contact us by calling (07) 3343 4066, emailing, or by filling in the online form.

Call Now Button